The whole of Queensland was his Catholic diocese when Bishop Quinn arrived. He visited Gladstone in 1868 and a decision was made to purchase land for a church. A large block between Auckland Street and Oaka Lane became the venue for the building, which was also used for a school by the Sisters of St Joseph who arrived at the beginning of the 1870's and left at the end of that decade.
When the school closed, Mrs Anne Breslin taught the Catholic children at her home in Goondoon Street (now occupied by Gladstone's Civic Centre). On July 11th, 1900, the first three Sisters of Mercy arrived and commenced teaching the very next day in the old Church building in Auckland Street.
The first Star of the Sea Church/School opened on the present site on January 20th, 1902.
The foundation stone for the first stage of the present Star of the Sea School was laid in November 1948, as the old building was nearing the end of its usefulness. However, when the cyclone of 1949 demolished the old building, the need for the completion of the new school became imperative.
From the day of the cyclone (1 March 1949 - Ash Wednesday) to the opening of the new school (30 April 1950) the following were used as makeshift teaching areas; the parish church; rooms in the Town Hall; pavilions at the Gladstone Show Grounds; and the space under the old presbytery.
The growing need to provide additional rooms due to the progress of the town resulted in additions to the school in 1970 and again in 1971.
The further addition of three classrooms, a library and staff room was completed in 1981. The preschool was established in 1990 and is called Prep from 2007.
Star of the Sea continues to grow and develop today. The school continually upgrades facilities and resources to ensure that the children have every available opportunity to develop to their full potential.